I had the amazing pleasure of making my best friend’s wedding dress a few years ago, and like usual, had some fabric leftover at the end. We used a simple, really soft but sturdy cotton as the base of the dress, at that is what I had about 3 yards extra of. Question is, who wants another white dress? Not Katie! SO, we chose a lovely shade of teal blue and I dyed the fabric in the washing machine.
Katie wanted a 50’s style dress; fitted, simple, and feminine. So we chose a simple scooped neck for the front and back, along with simple capped sleeves. I also added extra dart detailing in the bodice to accentuate Katie’s amazing figure. The skirt (of course!) has in-seam pockets for added comfort and ease. The skirt was a full circle skirt, but ended up being too short, so I added a 4 inch wide straight strip to the bottom, which added the length I was looking for, but gave the skirt a bit of a strange shape. In a moment of inspiration I made tiny little gathered pleats all along the seam where the skirt met the hem and it turned into a really cool design detail. Yay for happy accidents!
p.s. If you would like to see more awesome things from Drew Beck, please check out his page!